Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary
For those souls seeking true holiness and called to obtaining a perfect union with Jesus Christ Our Lord, in the humble opinion of this writer (an ordinary layman who has nevertheless been consecrated to Jesus Through Mary for over 25 years)there is no better decision that one can make for their eternal salvation than Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary.
Saint Louis Marie De Montfort outlines a perfect means of doing this in his excellent works inspired by the Holy Ghost "Secret of Mary" and "True devotion to Mary" which includes exterior and interior spiritual exercises and a preparation for Total consecration. Motivated by the greatest of intentions, he wanted to guard this secret with a holy jealousy, that it should only be given to worthy souls who deserve it by their prayers, their alms-deeds and mortifications, by the persecutions they suffer and by their detachment from the world and their zeal for the salvation of souls. It is with this same spirit therefore, that we should approach the holy slavery and communicate it only to the most worthy of souls.
Highly recommend obtaining The Reign of Jesus through Mary by Gabriel Denis, s.m.m)
Sinners that we are, let us fly to the refuge of Mary where our souls can find shelter and be endowed with an ever flowing fountain of grace.
FOR PRIVATE DEVOTION ONLY
Jesus, Thou art my King, I will ever serve Thee;
Thou art my Master, I will ever obey Thee;
Thou art my Lord and God, I will ever praise Thee;
Thou art my Saviour, I will ever thank Thee;
Thou art my elder Brother, I will ever love Thee; Thou art my Divine Spouse, I will ever sacrifice myself to Thee and for Thee;
Thou art the Way, I will ever follow Thee;
Thou art the Truth, I will ever listen to Thee;
Thou art the Life, I will ever die for Thee;
Thou art my all in all, I will ever live with Thee to praise Thee for all eternity. Amen
It may also be appropriate to add that without Total Consecration to Jesus through Mary it will be very difficult if not impossible to survive the assaults of the enemy during these grave times of Apostasy. Let us remember the beautiful words of Saint Bernard and lose no time as Blessed De Montfort suggests" in giving ourselves entirely and as a slave to Mary, and to Jesus through Mary; and after that to do all that we do, through Mary, with Mary, in Mary and for Mary."
When you follow Mary, you will not go astray;
when you pray to her, you will not despair;
when you think of her, you will not err;
when she sustains you, you will not fall;
when she protects you, you will not fear;
when she leads you, you will not become tired;
when she favours you, you will arrive safely.
She keeps her son from striking us;
she keeps the devil from hurting us;
she keeps our virtues from escaping us;
she keeps our merits from being destroyed;
she keeps our graces from being lost.
Our Sanctification by the perfect devotion to the Blessed Virgin
Saint Louis de Montfort explains this perfect devotion in the "Secret of Mary" thus: -
There are several true devotions to Our Lady; here I do not speak of those that are false.
- Devotion without special practices - The first consists in fulfilling our Christian duties, avoiding mortal sin, acting more out of love than fear, praying to Our Lady now and then, honouring her as the Mother of God, yet without having any special devotion to her.
- Devotion with special practices - The second consists in entertaining for Our Lady more perfect feelings of esteem and love, of confidence and veneration. It leads us to join the Confraternities of the Holy Rosary and of the Scapular, to recite the five decades or the fifteen decades of the Rosary, to honour Mary's images and altars, to publish her praises and to enrol ourselves in her sodalities. This devotion is good, holy and praiseworthy if we keep ourselves free from sin; but it is not so perfect as the next, nor so efficient in severing our soul from creatures or in detaching us from ourselves, in order to be united with Jesus Christ.
- The Perfect Devotion: The Holy slavery of love - The third devotion to Our Lady, known and practised by very few persons.....consists in giving oneself entirely and as a slave to Mary, and to Jesus through Mary; and after that to do all that we do, through Mary, with Mary, in Mary and for Mary." (There is no reason to be alarmed by the words "slave or "slavery" if we consider the state and not the word..sufficient explanation is provided by St. Louis de Montfort of this voluntary act of love and total dependence on the Master through the Mother.)
There is no hindrance to our union with God
"Let us not imagine, then, as some do who are misled by erroneous teachings, that Mary, being a creature, is a hindrance to our union with the Creator. It is no longer Mary who lives, it is Jesus Christ, it is God alone who lives in her. Her transformation into God surpasses that of St Paul and of the other saints more than the heavens surpass the earth by their height. Mary is made for God alone, and far from ever detaining a soul in herself, she casts the soul upon God and unites it with him so much the more perfectly as the soul is more perfectly united to her. Mary is the admirable echo of God. When we say "Mary" she answers "God". When with St. Elizabeth we call her "Blessed" she glorifies God. If the falsely enlightened, whom the devil has so miserably illusioned, even in prayer, had known how to find Mary, and through her how to find Jesus, and through Jesus God the Father, they would not have had such terrible falls. The saints tell us that when we have once found Mary, and through Mary, Jesus, and through Jesus, God the Father, we have found all good. He who says all, excepts nothing: all grace and all friendship with God, all safety from God's enemies, all truth to crush falsehoods, all facility to overcome difficulties in the way of salvation, all comfort and all joy amidst the bitterness of life."
(The Secret of Mary -Saint Louis de Montfort)
Sinners, that we are, Let us waste no time therefore in giving ourselves completely to Jesus through Mary by preparing for Total Consecration using the method as defined by Saint Louis Marie De Montfort.
Outline of preparation for Total Consecration
Souls must be firstly formed and then go through a period of preparation prior to making their Consecration to Jesus through Mary. (Recommend obtaining a copy of The Reign of Jesus through Mary by Gabriel Denis and the booklet Preparation for Total Consecration according to Saint Louis Marie de Montfort by Montfort Publications. )
CHOOSE A SPECIAL FEAST DAY IN WHICH TO MAKE YOUR CONSECRATION
Some Examples include: - The Feast of the Purification (Feb 2nd), The Annunciation (March 25th), Easter Sunday, Feast of the Visitation of Our Lady (July 2nd), Queenship of Mary / Immaculate Heart of Mary (Aug 22nd), The Assumption (Aug 15th), Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary (Sep 8th), Our Lady of Sorrows (Sept 15th), The Immaculate Conception (Dec 8th), Christmas Day (Dec 25th)
FIRST PERIOD (start 33 days before your chosen feast day)
Twelve preliminary Days - Renouncement of the World
First Week - Knowledge of self.
Second Week - Knowledge of the Blessed Virgin
Third Week - Knowledge of Jesus Christ
CONSECRATION TO JESUS CHRIST THROUGH THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY
"At the end of the three weeks they shall go to confession and to Communion, with the intention of giving themselves to Jesus Christ in the quality of slaves of love, by the hands of Mary. After Communion....they should recite the formula of their consecration. "I AM ALL THINE MY DEAR MOTHER AND ALL THAT I HAVE IS THINE" or alternatively"I AM THINE AND ALL THAT I HAVE IS THINE O MOST LOVING JESUS THROUGH MARY THY MOST HOLY MOTHER" or some other similar formula.
After Consecration it would be well that those consecrated souls contribute in some way to the Reign of Jesus through Mary and to join the Confraternity of Mary, Queen of all Hearts, details (Company of Mary, General Delegation for Great Britain and Ireland, Montfort Missionaries) are contained in external link below: -
(Note: Please check specific details of membership of this Confraternity within your own country if established there)
A Suggested Synopsis of our Life in union with Mary
FOR PRIVATE DEVOTION ONLY
- Perform Total Consecration to Jesus Through Mary (using method defined by Saint Louis Marie De Montfort)
- Perform all our actions With Mary, For Mary, Through Mary and In Mary.
- Wear the Brown Scapular or Five Fold scapular faithfully everyday (see below)
- Attend Holy Mass and receive the Blessed Sacrament regularly (daily if possible)
- Pray the rosary every day (15 decades if possible)
- Do the Five First Saturdays and Nine First Fridays to make reparation and console the sacred hearts of Jesus & Mary and avoid hell
- Visit the Confessional regularly (perform a General Confession periodically)
- Daily Spiritual Reading / Meditation (flee as you would hell itself from all bad literature)
- Behaviour and Conversations ("My good Mother, grant that my conduct may become like thine. Grant that it may be always upright and humble. Grant that I may not be an occasion of sin for anyone. Let my recreation be spent in thy presence, away from worldly and dangerous amusements" Saint Louis Marie De Montfort)
- Ask every day for many graces, as Our Lady is "Our Treasure, House of the Lords graces" and wishes to bestow a share of Her riches on those who ask Her with humility and perseverance.
AT ALL TIMES:
"Forget all else and see your good Mother alone, kindly watching over you, in order to unite you to Jesus, your King. Strive gently but effectively, with her and like her, to do always what would be more pleasing to Our Lord. Diligently avoid anything which could displease him. Avoid especially attachment to self or to perishable goods. Accept everything as coming through Mary's hands. Give nothing to God or man without confiding it to her virginal hands. In a word, try to breathe Mary as much as the body breathes the air, in order to attain the highest degree of union with Jesus"
This do and thou shalt live.
Saint Louis Marie De Montfort
FOR PRIVATE DEVOTION ONLY
O Mary, Thou art my Queen, I will ever serve Thee;
Thou art my Heavenly Mistress, I will ever obey Thee;
Thou art the Mother of God, I will ever praise Thee;
Thou art my Mediatrix and Advocate , I will ever thank Thee;
Thou art my Mother, I will ever love Thee;
Thou art my Star, I will ever follow Thee;
Thou art my Model, I will ever imitate Thee;
After Jesus, Thou art my all in all, I will ever live with Thee. Amen
The Brown Scapular
FOR PRIVATE DEVOTION ONLY
In the opinion of this writer,Total Consecration to Jesus through Our Lady and the wearing of the Brown Scapular are inseparable. All Children of Mary should be clothed in this garment as a sign of our salvation and protection and our devotion and love towards our Blessed Mother.
“Accept this Scapular. It shall be a sign of salvation, a protection in danger and a pledge of peace. Whosoever dies clothed in this Scapular shall not suffer eternal fire.”
Promise of Our Lady of Mount Carmel to Saint Simon Stock
“One day through the Rosary and the Scapular I will save the World,”
Words of Our Blessed Mother to Saint Dominic.
“The Most Holy Mary is pleased when Her servants wear Her Scapular as a mark that they have dedicated themselves to Her service, and are members of the Family of the Mother of God.”
Saint Alphonsus Liguori
Let us waste no time therefore in consecrating ourselves to Mary, the most resplendent Queen of Heaven by wearing her Brown Scapular.